The Rest of Yesterday

Friday, March 26, 2010

After writing from Delmas 53(I think it was 53...it was directly across from one of the first photos I shot in PAP of a pancaked building), Sasha was on the phone. We had just left their place, but apparently Danny Glover was in their toilet...of course he was.

We headed up to a restaurant in Petionville for a meeting with someone from a certain unnamed NGO. I had already called my friend Nathalie about meeting up and she said she would like to. I called her back about two hours later from the restaurant. She said she'd take a raincheck. Since her housem in Delmas 33 collapsed she'd been staying with her neighbor. On the phone she told me that one of the people in the house had just been shot in the head and that she needed to go to find out what was going on.

I sat back down. We discussed rumors that another aid worker was kidnapped for a bit and then we moved on to other topics.

We headed to another bar, in a beautiful building I knew from last summer, but I knew it from another business there. We were just hanging out when a guy sat down, saying he had been stood up. Turned out to be a journalist with one of the big wire services. I created an opening in the conversation as our NGO-friend fled the conversation. We discussed the coverage of Haiti, what had been written, how it had been written, future stories he's working on. Apparently there's some harder hitting stuff coming out within the near future, but only time will tell.

That was the last half of my day yesterday. If I don't write these things down, large parts are gone in a matter of days. I'm keeping parts of this one purposely vague, but it was an interesting night, with a lot more details worth sharing offline. Off to Santo Domingo in about and hour. Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment