VIP Leogane

Sunday, March 14, 2010

On Monday I went out to shoot some photos at the Laduceur site and decided to walk back to Belval Plaza where we’re staying. On my way back I stopped as a funeral procession, led by a band, slowly made it down the street. My route took me through the center of Leogane where the Canadians have recently cleared the St. Rose de Lima school, where many people died. Initialy estimates were at 500, but I don’t know what they actually came down to.
When I got to the center of town it was blocked off. I spoke with a French Canadian who told me it was a VIP visit, but more journalists than VIPs. I walked around to the other side and thought I spotted Harry Reid. It turned out that Michaelle Jean was visiting. I know your reaction, THEE MICHAELLE JEAN!? Yes, Michaelle Jean.
Ok, so you don’t know who Michaelle Jean is…but that’s ok. She was born in Jacmel, adopted a child from Jacmel, and has roots in Leogane. She is the Canadian Governor General, which is more a symbolic position than anything since she is a representative to the Queen. Remember that the Queen of England is the head of state of Canada.
Leogane’s mayor, Santos Alexis, was hanging out afterward and I took a photo of him. Below are a few shots.

Governor General of Canada Michaelle Jean Mayor Santos Alexis

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment