The Basics

Monday, March 1, 2010

So let’s get the basic details out of the way:

I will be volunteering with HODR in Léogane, basically the epicenter of the recent earthquake. I have read that 90% of buildings in Léogane have been heavily damaged or destroyed. I will be clearing rubble from properties so people can begin rebuilding or setting up shelters on their property. There’s always a possibility that I will work with another organization since HODR actively seeks partnerships.

HODR has set up at club in town, but I’m not sure the details on it, except that it’s open air. It has bunks and all tent space is now occupied, but they will be opening more space in the back of the building.

I was able to reach Medecins Sans Frontieres before leaving and plan on giving them about 50lbs of medical supplies. I don’t know if my medical certification will be of much use to them, but if I can help there, I will.

Throughout my time in Léogane I’m hoping to get out and photograph things. I’m hoping to do a little freelance work to help fund my future internship with Fonkoze. I’ve also brought my digital voice recorder and will hopefully find a use for that as well.

This is an especially boring post, but I’ll have more to say when I get out and about. I’m spending the first night in PAP with Sasha to catch up a bit and then heading to Léogane Tuesday afternoon.
Until later. :)

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment